In this episode of the BOLO Podcast, we are speaking with licensed personal protection officer and private investigator Tamara Shelley. From the great state of Texas, Tamara is a noted firearms expert specializing in training females in the proper and safe use of firearms. Tamara is the force behind She-Bang! Handgun Training. She is a licensed self defense coach, Level 1 Krav Maga instructor and has trained in the Israeli method of dynamic shooting. ...
Summary of the interview with Tamara:
- Instill good safety boundaries for your daughters. Teach them physical self defense and get them to understand the mentality of an attacker and lure tactics an attacker may use.
- Choice weapons for home defense; having a dog is a good deterrent. For someone who is comfortable with firearms, having a shotgun isn't recommended for apartment housing due to the type of round but is a great intimidator. Be sure to have proper training in a similar environment.
- Law enforcement self defense against someone with edged weapons - try to use control tactics, such as wrist or arm locks, and try to get the weapon away from them or disable their ability to stab you.
- Feels that there should be a universal training standard for allowing residents to carry.
- Be familiar with your holster and properly train to maintain control of your weapon.
- During high-stress situations you may have loss of visual clarity, loss of bladder control, tunnel vision, elevated heart rate, shaking, loss of fine motor skills. In preparation for that use tactical breathing to slow heart rate and to calm either yourself or others.
- Females should have a decision made before a situation happens. Decide that you need to get home safely and physically get it done. Get into your assaulters OODA (observe, orient, decide, act) loop.
- When females look for a firearm - go to a range that rents them and shoot the firearm. Make sure it's comfortable, you can control it, it isn't too much for you or isn't enough. Get trained on how to use it correctly.
- With women and teenage girls be aware of the content of what you are posting on social media as well as your location on posts.
- Find a licensed firearm instructor that is qualified with credentials that will teach safely, properly and who fully explains your questions.
You can follow Tamara Shelley on Twitter @SheBangHandgun and for handgun training at She-banghandguntraining.com
Nutrition Tip - Macro Dieting 101
Tamrin from Team Fit for Duty offers these points on macro based nutrition plans:
- Macro-nutrient dieting revolves around meeting macro-nutritional intake needs which consist of: carbohydrates, fat and protein.
- Optimizes your ability to workout harder, build and retain muscle, absorb nutrients and lose fat.
- Getting your macros from clean (un/minimally) processed foods is ideal while not depriving but being balanced in macros.
- Implement foods that contain the micro nutrients - vitamins and minerals, that your body needs.
- Follow the 80/20% plan, 80% of your macros come from clean food sources, 20% from other sources.
- Have your macros calculated by a fitness professional or someone who has experience with how it works.
- Body type (ectomorph, mesomorph, endomorph- or a combination of the aforementioned) and TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) plays big part in your nutrition plan.
- Once familiarized macro dieting is very simply and practical.
- Not following a healthy eating plan limits your ability to reach your goals
Supplement Tip - Stimulants
- A stimulant is any drug that temporarily increases alertness and energy by increasing the function of the central nervous system.
- Stimulants may suppress appetite, delay muscular and cardiovascular fatigue, increase muscular and cardiovascular output, increase metabolism and even give you a feeling of euphoria.
- Possible negative side effects of stimulants may be: a rapid heart rate, increased blood pressure, nausea, adrenal fatigue, minor dependency, nervousness/irritability, dehydration.
- Stimulants can most commonly be found in pre-workout drinks, energy drinks and weight loss products.
- A safe limit of caffeine is up to about 400 mg a day for a healthy adult.
- When picking a product that may contain stimulants be on the lookout for words that end in "ine", like caffeine, yohimbine and synephrine.
- Some of the most common stimulants that can be found in supplements are: caffeine, green tea, synephrine (AKA bitter orange), yohimbe/yohimbine, ephedra (illegal) 1,3,-dimethlyamylamine (DMAA) (also illegal).
- Stimulants can be a healthy, effective way to make workouts more beneficial if taken in reasonable doses.
As mentioned in the show:
This is a powerful video produced by Glock firearms about the dangers that may be lurking near by.
Mike's Steak Recipe...
Mike spoke about this awesome recipe for cooking the perfect steak. Well, here's the video.